A woman who successfully underwent a lung transplant went into anaphylactic shock after eating peanut butter. Prior to her transplant she never had problems eating peanuts. She learned the 12 yr.old who had donated the lungs had had a peanut allergy, and had died from an anaphylactic shock.

Transfer of peanut allergy from the donor to a lung transplant recipient

Abstract

Among solid organs, transfer of peanut allergy from donor to recipient has been implicated after liver transplantation. We report the first case in which such transfer occurred after a lung transplant. A 42-year-old woman with history of sarcoidosis underwent a successful bilateral lung transplant from a donor who died from anaphylactic shock after eating peanut-related food. Seven months later, she ate a peanut butter cookie at a transplant support group meeting. Immediately thereafter, she developed an anaphylactic reaction, but survived with prompt treatment. During subsequent follow-up, she could recall three prior episodes of wheezing and difficulty breathing after eating peanut-related foods. The first episode occurred 4 … Continue Reading (1 minute read)

14 thoughts on “A woman who successfully underwent a lung transplant went into anaphylactic shock after eating peanut butter. Prior to her transplant she never had problems eating peanuts. She learned the 12 yr.old who had donated the lungs had had a peanut allergy, and had died from an anaphylactic shock.”

  1. delightful1

    Lungs after being transplanted: “Wow we survived, hopefully this new body doesn’t eat peanut– wait stop!”

  2. Kufat

    This is why you pay extra to get the LUNGFAX when you’re getting used lungs.

  3. sonia72quebec

    After a heart bypass surgery my Dad developed an allergy to salmon. Each time he would eat some he would get violently ill. He never had any problem with it before.

    Strangely it went away years later.

  4. krakenwalks

    Is it the lungs shutting down during anaphylactic shock that kills you?

  5. DystopianAdvocate

    You would think they would have warned her.

  6. shadyshadok

    Imagine to survive a broken lung just to live in a world where you cant eat peanut butter

  7. HowUKnowMeKennyBond

    I’m surprised they don’t record all known allergies and tell the donor recipient. Especially if it something that had killed the donee. I’m not a doctor tho.

  8. toiletscrubber

    …so you could inherit someone elses immune system? sounds dangerous

  9. falls_asleep_reading

    Has it not occurred to physicians that patients need to be told important things that could potentially be fatal like donor allergies?

  10. cbugle

    Things that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!!

  11. greatgildersleeve

    Where was the age of the original donor shown?
    EDIT: Bad grammar.

  12. Sansia

    I wonder if they accept exchanges.

  13. raouldukesaccomplice

    When you buy a car and it turns out to be a lemon.

Leave a Comment