One thing we must note is, bees and wasps are not the same. They are wired differently, and one is definitely more dangerous than the other. If you see a wasp nest, steer clear of it.
Unlike bees, jumping in a body of water when a swarm of wasps comes after you will not help. They will wait for you to re-emerge, so they can continue attacking you. To avoid getting stung, skip sweet-smelling perfume, bight clothes, and panicking.
Are Wasps Dangerous?
Wasps are known to be aggressive, and this is what makes them dangerous. They will not think twice about using their stinger to attack anyone who causes a disturbance within their space, be it around their nest or while they are busy pollinating. Unlike bees, wasps can use their stinger several times.
Wasps also attack in packs. This means when one wasp decides that it is in danger in your presence, it will send out signals to other wasps to help. If you are allergic to wasp stings, don’t risk getting attacked. You may encounter severe reactions and would require immediate medical care. (Source: Russel’s Pest Control)
The problem is a wasp in distress emits a pheromone that sends nearby colony members into a defensive, stinging frenzy.Natalie Bungay
What Do You Do If There’s Wasp Nest Around Your Home?
Wasps have a habit of nesting in crevices around your home. Once you have identified the nest, the best option is to get professional help. Although they do leave their nest when they are ready to migrate, it’s best to get rid of them if you are allergic or have children around.
Here are some ways you can actually avoid getting stung.
- Avoid wearing sweet-smelling perfumes that can attract them. Since they are after nectar, they might mistake you for their next source.
- Don’t wear bright colored clothes. One of the main reasons beekeepers wear white is because these bugs are attracted to bright colors. Stick to neutral colors.
- Wasps are attracted to sugary food and drinks, if you have a wasp nest around your home. Be cautious when eating anything sugary when you are outside, these sweets can attract them.
- Don’t panic. If a wasp starts to hover around you, relax. If you try to swat it, they will get defensive and won’t be shy to use their stinger. Once you’re calm, they will realize you are not a source of nectar and they will go away.
- If you have accidentally disturbed their nest, move away without causing more disturbance. Jumping into a body of water will not help, they will wait for you to re-emerge.
If you have had been stung and you are allergic. Seek medical attention immediately. (Source: Farm and Dairy)
Who is Stephen Cockroft?
Stephen Cockroft was busy trimming his hedge when a swarm of wasps attacked him. He was stung 42 times after accidentally disturbing their nest. After the attack, he was kept in the hospital for observation.
Initially I thought I had brushed my arm against a stinging nettle but suddenly wasps were all around my upper torso and face. I dropped the machine and was desperately flailing my arms around trying to get them off my face.Stephen Cockroft